2 FREE continuing education hours followed by 1 hour partner work with SHIP Coordinator.
This course will introduce the importance of breastfeeding to children, mothers, and child care programs. Topics will include benefits of breastfeeding, risks of not breastfeeding, breastfeeding guidelines, and safe handling and storage of breast milk. Participants will identify ways for child care providers to support breastfeeding families.
Trainer: Caren Hoffman
When: January 29, 6-8 p.m.
(2 hours continuing education); Partners will stay after to work with Tina Moen, SHIP Coordinator, on action planning, etc.
Where: Plainview Area Community Center 346 W Broadway, Plainview, MN 55964
Wabasha County SHIP will be seeking to partner with attendees of this training. Reasons for child care providers to partner with SHIP include:
- Free MNCPD approved continuing education hours
- Help in obtaining three and four star Parent Aware Ratings (providers do not need to be part of the Parent Aware program to participate)
- Have a completed self-assessment and results
- Training and an action plan for one to three of the following areas: Healthy eating, Physical activity, Breastfeeding support
- Implementing best practices for healthy eating, breastfeeding and/or physical activity in their programs.
- Have a completed post-implementation self-assessment and results
- Have written policies describing their newly-adopted action plan(s)
- Training-related tools and supplies will be provided to first 10 providers who are registered and who partner with SHIP.
The process for partnering Wabasha County SHIP is as follows:
- SHIP provides a quick and easy pre-assessment
- SHIP provides FREE training(s)
- SHIP provides an action plan template
- SHIP provides Technical Assistance
- Policies in nutrition, breastfeeding support and physical activity are adopted by providers and/or centers
- SHIP provides a post-assessment
- Long-term sustainability will be reviewed